The Big Apple | Fusion or Confusion?



Once again, I went to this restaurant at lunch. The reason for re-visiting was simple, not because the food or the environment is nice, its because there were seats available. My friends chose to eat here before I knew it, so I ended up eating here again in this seemingly Western but Chinese styled restaurant.

Why would I say its a Chinese-Version-Western restaurant? You would know the answer right away if you check their lunch menu out.  For the dishes, although they were western dishes but most of them sounded Chinese, which included pork chop spaghetti, beef with rice, spaghetti, spring chicken rice etc. For soup options, there were Mushroom soup or Vegetable soup. Which to me, is EXTREMELY Chinese-version-Western restaurant like the Boston in Wanchai. Yet the restaurants have a large notice board writting all the salads, panini, bagels etc that they offered all day long. So to concluded, it is literally a custard bun - Western on the outside, Asian on the inside. Although being deceived (due to my colleagues) once again into the shop, I found there were actually several foreigners came into the shop. I guess their marketing strategy works. However, would it work the second time? I guess the fact that we could always find a seat during the busiest hour of the day clearly justify that

Okay, so the lunch set were all priced at $48 with soup included. Most of the set came with rice, so if you want to have pasta, you have to add an extra $5 for it. Bad food, chaotic service but adding a 10% charge, what a ripped off.

1) Vegetable Soup
First its the vegetable soup that came with the bread. Since I joined my colleages late, I ordered late. When my soup came, all of my colleagues had already finished their soup and figured I had got a different bread than theirs. Theirs was toast, and judging by the look of my bread, they felt jealous that I had got mine. Having my first bite of my bread, I could instantly tell you that I wished the reverse. The bread was hard as hell and it was bitter. You could say its extremely chewy but it definitely wasn't something that I want to go with my soup. The soup was just a normal one, nothing really special about it.


2) Pork Chop with Cheese sauce
The set was originally go with RICE! How absurd! I changed it into pasta and they asked for a topped up which I didn't really care. When the dish first came, it came with rice. I asked for a re-made. The restaurants seemed to have some problems in order taking. 3 out of 4 people that dined that day has got their set wrongly prepared. What;s more, the dish was, to put it bluntly, disgusting. The pork chop was hard as stone and tasteless. What's worse, there were other kind of pasta got into my spaghetti. I guess I was deceived by the word cheese, as I could not taste any cheese flavour at all after I have polished the whole dish. (I was starved.)

To conclude, Big Apple, Big Disappointment. I repeated once again, even if you could not get any seating in any restaurant, try not to visit the restaurant (or completely out of the choice to the extreme while I could be). If you are desperate for food, save a meal and go to Mc, Donalds or really do go to Pacific Coffee and grab a sandwich. I will wish you luck if you insist on visiting the restaurant.

The Big Apple
G/F, 154 Jaffe Road, Wan Chai
☏ 2827-6108
07:00-20:00(Mon-Sun)
Date of Dinning: 17 Sep 2010

No comments:

Post a Comment