Citrus Sweet - Hearty Online Cupcakery in Hong Kong

If you have tried cupcakes in America, you would not like cupcakes in Hong Kong. I don't know if it is the weather or the ingredients, the taste just does not seems right. Recently I was introduced to a local home cupcakery in Hong Kong, called Citrus Sweet. Given by the cupcakes' ordinary look, I was actually stunned by a few of the flavours. In this post, I would be reviewing some of Citrus Sweet's cupcakes, and I will let you one which are the must get!


Being an online cupcake bakery, you will have to pick up your cupcakes along the MTR stations after placing your order online. It is very easy to meet the delivery person, so no worries about missing your cupcakes on the day of delivery.

The packaging of Citrus Sweet was rather disappointing. Given the beautiful website and the fact that they are selling cupcakes, I would imagine a more colourful and happy looking designed box, rather than this plain brown box that I received. I understand the difficulties in starting a business, just it would be better if the cupcake boxes matches with the colourful design of their website. Anyhow, it is the marketing that matters, right?


The cupcake assortment I got today was Red Velet, Dark Chocolate, Carrot Cake and Banana Cake. The toppings I had were vanilla buttercream and cream cheese with pretty rainbow sprinkles drizzled on top.



The Red Velvet Cupcake was nice. The cupcake itself was moist and fluffy, I tasted first a mild bitterness and sourness, followed by a dark chocolate sweetness.  The cream cheese was insanely heavenly, it carried a dense and smooth texture with the right amount of sweetness. The contrast between the dense cream cheese and the fluffy cupcake was splendid, I could't stop gorging on it.


You can probably see from the picture below how fluffy the cupcake was!


As you know I am a big fan of carrot cake, I was, sadly, rather let down by this Carrot Cupcake. The cream cheese was still tasting splendid, but the carrot cake itself tasted quite glutinous and gooey which I dislike. It tasted like a glutinous and moist version of Chinese sponge cake (馬拉糕).


The Chocolate Cupcake was paired with vanilla buttercream. Again, a fluffy and moist cupcake base with a mildly sweet chocolate sweetness. The vanilla buttercream was however rather sandy and sweet. I wonder how the American Cupcakeries like Georgetown Cupcakes and Sprinkles made their buttercream icing... So far there really ain't one that is on par with them in Hong Kong.


There was also a Banana Cupcake with Cream Cheese cupcake, which looks exactly like the carrot cake, which I got confused and shared with my colleague. She told me the banana cupcake was extremely flavourful and that she was very impressed with the moistness of the cupcake, and of course, the heavenly silky cream cheese on top!


You might ask me to compare it with Sift as many of my friends do. Which in the case of Red Velvet cupcake, I personally prefer Citrus Sweet as it offers a denser cream cheese topping and a stronger flavoured cupcake bottom which deliver a longer chocolaty and buttery aftertaste. So to speak, if you prefer your cupcake with a stronger aftertaste, try Citrus Fruit.

Despite cupcakes, Citrus Sweets also offers customs cakes, cupcakes, cake pops and cookies. Check out some of their pictures below and visit their website if you are interested! For any inquiries, you can also contact Citrus Sweets directly at info@citrussweets.com.






Below are Citrus Sweet's Cupcake and Cake menu for your reference!



Citrus Sweets

Follow this blog on:
FACEBOOK | BLOGLOVIN' | TWITTER

No comments:

Post a Comment