Stockton - The Mysterious British Whisky Bar

Price: $$$
Cravingness: ★★★★☆

I have heard much raves about Stockton but do not understand why until tonight, when I finally set foot in Stockton.



It seems the 'no restaurant sign' is the new nom as more hip restaurants are doing it. With Stockton among one of the many wicked restaurants in town, do expect the same. The entrance of Stockton is well hidden through a tunnel of dark alley, you could spend a good 10 minutes keep reading the street number but could not find it. If you look at the picture below, Stockton's entrance is where the lady holding a piece of paper is standing.



Walking through the alley worrying about the habitants (rats and cockroaches!), we walked up the winding stairs and were greeted by a rude staff at the door, blocking our way into the restaurant even we have addressed that we have reservation. My friend ignored him and went into the restaurant straight away. Having said that, all the other staff at Stockon were actually very nice.


Stepping into Stockton is like traveling through time back to the glamourous bars in the old England times. Nostalgic and grand interior filled with vintage deep-buttoned quilted upholstery sofas, low coffee table, quirky mounted animal heads, antiques and flickering candles lights dimly light up the restaurant imbued a sense of luxurious and class.


The whiskey stacked bar was also glamorously looking, which whiskey lovers as I am could not take my eyes off it.


The drink menu is by far the most intriguing drink menu I have ever seen. Fancy leather covers, vintage looking papers and detail descriptions/ stories of all cocktail creations.



I quickly ordered a Cherry Tart - HKD120 to quench my thirst. It was supposed to be served in a coke bottle but was out the night I went. The cocktail came out, to my surprise, served in an elegant set of tea cup and saucer. The cocktail tasted like cherry marshmallow but a strong one.


I had difficult times in choosing what to have as most items on Stockon's menu sounds awesome. We ordered a few of appetisers and mains to share.


We started with the Soldiers & Egg which is a creamy dip made with slow cooked duck egg with a Jenga tower of toast served aside. I was a bit surprise that the dip was weak in eggy flavour as duck egg was used, but I was glad it was not strong as to let the sea urchin flavour shines. The toast was toasty but the texture was weird, tasted like it has been re-toasted.


We also had the Scotch Egg which was fantastic. It was cooked to perfection with utterly crispy surface and runny yolk. The chorizo tasted meaty, and was in my opinion slightly thin and weak in flavour. The mildly spicy paprika aioli along with the creamy and sweet yolk moisted up the scotch egg and delivered great flavour.


Next is another appetiser, the Cracked Mud Crab. The crab meat, masked heavily in smoked Caesar dressing, was extremely fresh and flavorful! I found the crab meat and lettuce pairing much enjoyable, but not too much with the toast as I mentioned earlier the toast here tasted weird.


I got utterly excited when the Braised Wagyu Beef Cheek stew was set on my table. With the drooling aroma permeating the air, I could not wait and took a slurp of the broth immediately. The broth was pretty much like Beef Bourguignon, but less intense in flavour. The Wagyu beef cheek was insanely tender to a point that it tasted more pulpy than tender. The beef had a rich alcohol flavour but lacked of beefy flavour which was rather disappointing. The only 2 things I found fond of was the broth and the toasted potato cubes which had a crispy edge and creamy inner.



The Rock Cod & Chips at Stockton was decent but not consistent. I had two cod fishes tonight, both were fresh and flavourful, but my first piece of cod was a bit dry whereas the second one was heavenly succulent, basically juice bursting! The batter was an excellent work though, crispy, grease free and not easily fall off. I did not like the fat chips here as it was quite hard in texture.


The Sticky Toffee Pudding was lovely. With toffee aroma permeated the air, the pudding was rich, dense, moist and sweet with ample dates flavour.


Stockton is a lovely place for a drink and for food. Overall I am quite contented with the dishes Stockton offers.


Rating
Food - ★★★★☆
Service - ★★★★☆
Ambience - ★★★★★
Overall - ★★★★☆


Stockton
Address (E) G/F., 32 Wyndham St., Central, Hong Kong
Address (C) 香港中環雲咸街32號地下
2565 5268
Opening Hours: Mon - Sun: 6pm - 12am
Reservation Available? Yes
Walk In Possible? Yes
Bill For 1 (Dinner inc Beverages)- HKD493
Website: http://www.stockton.com.hk/


Follow this blog on:
FACEBOOK | BLOGLOVIN' | TWITTER

No comments:

Post a Comment