Menya Kotaro | The Worst Tempura Ever

Last time I walked past Causeway Bay Plaza I, I saw this new pasta restaurant. Today I paid a visit there and found out it wasn't selling pastas but Japanese noodles! Oh well, I wasn't paying much attention to its name when I passed by last time.

Menya Kotaro's interior set up looked like a fast food restaurant which customers have to pick their own seats, but in fact you will be served and have to wait for a seating under the tickets system. The restaurant was pretty small, so tables were all set against each other and there weren't much personal space.


Nagasaki Style Seafood Tempura Set $54
The tempura was the restaurant's special, so I ordered a set meal of that. It was suggested to have the tempura without any sauce first in order to experience its original taste, then you could dip the saucing or enjoy it with the udon. The dish came in beautifully just like the picture in the menu. Judging from the look, Nagasaki style was literally frying everything in one go to make one big circular tempura. The seafood tempura was impossible to break, the seafood, mushroom and other ingredients formed a perfect unbreakable matrix. Upon breaking the tempura into smaller parts, you could literally see the shining oil on the crust coating. I stopped eating the tempura after several attempts, I had never had any tempura that oily. The two nice things I could say about the tempura were that its texture was flaky despite its oiliness and the ingredients were generous especially the seafood.(But still very oily!)

Kake Udon(Hot & Cold)
The hot Kake Udon came along with the set. The broth base was quite nice, but the Udon was a bit on the soft side.


Croquettes
I love cream croquettes, but this was potato based, so it did not possess the soft cheesy texture as the cream croquettes. It had a crusty coating and a strong potato taste. The croquettes were amazing if you had it with the black katsu sauce. The potato croquettes actually tasted like hash brown, but to be honest, I would prefer Mc Donald's hash brown rather than this.


ONE MORE THING!!!! The water Menya Kotaro provided was REALLY tap water! You could immediately taste the rawness and weirdness upon your very first sip on the glass of water!

Generally I did not like this restaurant in anyway. The waitress' Japanese Pronunciation was not right, the food was oily and the water was disgusting. I think there won't be a re-visiting.

Menya Kotaro 麵屋虎太郎烏冬
Shop 201, Causeway Bay Plaza 1, 489 Hennessy Road, Causeway Bay
☏ 3520-2586
12:00-23:00(Mon-Sun)
Date of Dinning: 7 August 2010

No comments:

Post a Comment