Duddell's - Dim Sum Lunch

Price: $$
Cravingness: ★★★★☆

Remember my harsh review on Duddell's dinner (Click here to read if you are interested)? It was a terrible dining experience for me and I once thought I will never step into the doorstep of Duddell's ever again. However some of my foodie friends kept telling me how good Duddell's dim sum is (PS they have not tried dinner!), which urged me to go back to Duddell's today for their dim sum.


We got a seating by the windows with plants and flowers above our heads. Last time I was dining miserably next to the Kitchen. It seems better to come dine at noon, as the place looks much brighter and happier.



Service is much better during lunch than dinner at Duddell's. Staff were much more attentive and teas were refilled much more often. We had Puer today, tea is still very pricey at Duddell's which priced at HKD25 per person. However I would say the service of tea refilling worths the price.


Duddell's has a separately dim sum menu from their a la carte menu. The dim sum is priced between HKD58 to HKD110. If you are craving for lava custard bun, remember to ask for the dessert menu as well!


Abalone Puff with Chicken - HKD58/pc
I had the best abalone puff at Sun Tong Lol, follows Sportful Seafood Restaurant. The abalone puff at Duddell's was not as good as the mentioned as the puff was not buttery and flakey enough. The abalone itself was nice and sweet.


Fried Rice Roll with XO Chilli Sauce - HKD80
Second dish served was the best dish of the meal and is also the best rice cake that I had recently! When the waiter mentioned the rice roll surface would be crispy, I was only expecting a slight crisp. This rice roll's outer was however fried extremely crispy with a toasted aroma. The inner was contrasting smooth and soft. Having said that, the rice roll was not oily at all! Despite the texture, the rolls which were fried with XO chilli sauce was superb moreish! A great dish that everyone will fall in love here at Duddell's.



Shrimp Dumpling with Matsutake Mushroom - HKD60/ 3pcs
A typical dim sum with interesting orangy colour. The skin was at appropriate thickness but was a bit too soft in texture. The shrimp was sweet and the matsutake mushroom gave a delicate finish on the palate.


The condiment tray especially the XO chilli sauce was amazing! We had it refilled twice. Use the XO chilli sauce on the dumplings!


Pork Dumpling with Bird's Nest and Yunnan Ham - HKD60/ 3pcs
The pork dumpling (Siu Mai) was served streamingly hot which was a good sign. The dumpling was in general very bouncy and savoury. The additional of Bird's Nest is extravagance, the taste itself was nice but if the dumpling was taken as a whole, the bird nest was overpowered by the strongly flavoured pork and Yunnan ham. The piece was actually nice overall. If I had not have Mott32's pork dumpling, this might make to the top of my list.


Roasted Pork with Honey - HKD200
The roasted pork at Duddell's was one of the dishes that I was told amazing, I tried and reckon it tasted average. It did not taste too exciting to me. The roasted pork was too lean with a one dimensionally texture which is soft and tender. The roasted pork would be much nicer if it is more burnt. I would not find the end piece on this plate which I love and was where I usually found a nicely charred piece. The gavy was commendable, it was rich, mildly sweet with a rich pork taste and was nice to go with rice.


Mushroom Dumplings with Black Truffle - HKD54/ 3pcs
The name of this dish urged me to try it. "Mushroom dumplings with black truffle", hmmmmm, how delicious it sounds! This dumpling did live up with its name and image, the dumpling was filled with black truffle aroma. The skin was different from the shrimp dumpling, it was more glutinous like, more chewy in texture. The filling was bold and savoury. Delicious!


Baked Sago Pudding with Lotus Seed Paste - HKD75
The baked sago pudding was not as filling as I thought it would be. It was creamy rather than rich and carried a lovely lotus sweetness and fun sago texture in it. I don't usually like sago pudding but this one at Duddell's is commendable!


I am glad the dim sum at Duddell's turned out to be nice as I brought my parents with me this time. The dim sum is quite pricey in here, and most dim sum only comes in a tray of 3 not 4 pieces as other Cantonese restaurant offers. Taste wise it is not the best but the atmosphere and space are one of the advantages having dim sum at Duddell's. My mom likes it here and commented she would bring her friends over sometime.


Rating
Food - ★★★★☆
Service - ★★★★★
Ambience - ★★★★☆
Overall - ★★★★☆


Duddell's
Levels 3 & 4, Shanghai Tang Mansion, 1 Duddell Street, Central
香港中環都爹利街1號上海灘3至4樓
☏ 2525 9191
Opening Hours:
Mon - Thu: 12pm - 3pm, 6pm - 12am
Fri - Sat: 12pm - 3pm, 6pm - 1am
Closed on Sun
Reservation Available? Yes


Date of Dining: 1 May 2014
Bill in Total (Lunch inc beverage) - HKD792
Bill Per Person (Lunch inc beverage) - HKD264


Follow this blog on:
FACEBOOK | BLOGLOVIN' | TWITTER

No comments:

Post a Comment