Horng Ryen Jen Cake & Biscuits Store - The famous Sandwich Shop in Taiwan

I have travelled to Taiwan a lot of times for the past few years, mainly to visit my relatives but also for seeking food. I do not have the urge to visit Taiwan again yet, but this particular sandwich whose name I have only heard of recently, had me reconsidered visiting again. Just happens Henry went to Taiwan last weekend and I gave him a "bring back or no return" request for the sandwich. (Haha!) Turned out he brought me back a whole box! =D



Horng Ryen Sandwich Shop is founded in 1947 in Taichung. Despite the famous sandwich, they also offer traditional Taiwan pastries like the Pineapple Cake or the Sun Cake. What happens if you are only travelling to Taipei, but want to try the sandwich? No worries, you can get the sandwich in their sandwich shop located in Zhongxiao East Road or Zhongxiao West Road.


Henry got me a mixed flavour box so I can try both flavours. How sweet! :) This box holds 12 individually packed sandwiches, with an equal split between the cheese sandwich and the ham sandwich. The sandwich costs TWD25/pc or TWD285/box.


The sandwich is double wrapped with a paper wrapper outside and a clear plastic wrapper inside. The Sandwich content shows through the paper wrapper, so you can know which flavour is which. See the pinkish line in the middle on the sandwich on the right? It is the ham sandwich.



Ham and Egg Sandwich
As always, a great sandwich's secret lies on its mayo. The mayo here is sweet, creamy and rich with a texture like whipped cream. The egg is fried incredibly thin, I wonder how they do that. The smoked ham was not smokey and tasted no difference to the average ham. The white bread however, is much softer, spongier and more delicate than our average white bread in Hong Kong. There is also a light spread of butter on the bread!


Cheese and Egg Sandwich
The cheese and egg sandwich is equally delicious. The cheese taste is not too strong, you mostly tasted the savoury egg and sweet mayo here.


The hyped sandwich has a good balanced of sweet and savoury flavour. It is delicious and tasted MUCH better than any sandwich in Hong Kong. Having said that, I do not find the sandwich addicting, and would not see myself scheduling a time to visit shop if I was going in Taipei. To me, it is not amazing enough to hype about. However it could be a good Taiwan food souvenir apart from the typical Pineapple Cake & Sun Cake.


Rating
Food - ★★★☆☆1/2


Horng Ryen Jen Cake & Biscuits Store 洪瑞珍三明治餅店
Address (E) No493, Section 5, Zhongxiao East Road, Daan, Taipei, Taiwan
Address (C) 台北市大安區忠孝東路5段493號
☏ +886 2 8785 2723


Follow this blog on:
FACEBOOK | BLOGLOVIN' | TWITTER

No comments:

Post a Comment