Izumi Curry - Look Does Not Necessarily Equate Taste

★★☆☆☆
$$



Izumi Curry was on my to try list since it was opened in TST Sogo. The hype was huge back then, but I still do not have the urge to go all the way to Tsim Sha Tsui just for a plate of curry. It was until today I that I went and was excited about it.

I was seated on the side brunch even though there are tables available, but it was quite nice since i can face the street view from the window. The menu choice was vast, but it wasn't hard to figure out what I want.


Hamburger steak Curry topped with Omelette
The dish literally flew in within 10 minutes. The plating was beautiful, I have always loved curry and runny omelette. Yet the egg was not as smooth as it looks, only the top layer is runny, otherwise the texture was quite flat. What's worst, it was tasteless! Did they forget about  the seasoning or because it is supposed to be blend in order to pair with the savoury curry?

The beef patty was very lean, stiff and dense, they must have forgotten about the bread crumbs. It was heavily seasoned with pepper but the taste was boring. The Japanese hamburger steak recipe that I followed on YouTube resulted in a much more favourable taste. Mine was tender, juicy and flavourful.

The curry sauce was alright. I top up the spiciness by one degree (+ HKD 5), it wasn't really spicy. It was a bit overly salty for me. The complimentary red pickle radish was the worst pickle that I have ever tasted. It was extremely sweet and sour, with bad texture.

I guess I had some expectation on Izumi Curry, since it had such a hype before. To be honest, I got disappointed upon finishing a third of my plate. I was also shocked to know my curry costs HKD$ 103 (ie HKD$ 114 after service charge) when I got my bill. I did not expect to pay more than a hundred for this plate of curry. Anyway I guess I would stick with Coco curry for japanese curry house at Causeway Bay for now.


Izumi Curry
Kitchen 11, 11/F, Hysan Place, 500 Hennessy Road, Causeway Bay
2253 4111
Opening Hour: 11am - 12am (Mon - Sun)
Website


Bill for Tonight
Curry - HKD103
Service Charge 10%
Total - HKD114


No comments:

Post a Comment