Little Burro - Not as fresh as I expected

Price: $
Cravingness: ★☆☆☆☆

I always joke about franchising Chipotle to Hong Kong. Giving its popularity in the US, I would make lots of money here. I guess the owner of Little Burro had the same thought, but instead of franchising, they opened their own concept store, Little Burro at Causeway Bay. Having a slight difference thought on location though, I would have chose Wanchai or Central. It seems it could generate more lunch/ dinner crowds.


The ordering method is simple where you order though a series of 'steps' at the counter.
Step 1 - Chose the dish that you want - Pick from Burrito, Burrito Bowl, Taco or Salad
Step 2 - Pick the meat
Step 3 - Pick the type of beans and salsa
Step 4 - Pay and wait for your food


Despite a take away menu leaflet as above, you can pick from the huge red menu hangs on the wall. The store is pretty small with 10 seatings or less. Prepare to squeeze your way in during peak hours.


There is a salsa sauce for enhancing your dish's flavour, but the whole restaurant was sharing only two the night we went! We basically finished a third of the bottle by ourselves. Yes, the sauce was quite nice, but the main reason was because the burrito was a bit bland in taste.


Barbacoa Beer Burrito - HKD68

My burrito was beautifully wrapped in a tin foil with Little Burro's Sticker on top. It was wrapped with fresh leaves upon order but I got a bit disappointed that the meat was reheated at the oven. I was hoping more of a naturally warmed meat like heating on a chafing dish.


The tortilla was quite thick and rough in texture and very sadly with some parts of it harden. The beef was extremely hot after being reheated in the oven. The texture was alright but the taste was weak. The rice tasted flat and a bit too dry to me. The black beans were okay, but I wish it was more juicy. The salsa verde which the waitress describe as 'hot', was very bland in taste and not spicy at all! The burrito overall tasted pretty dry and I could not taste any sour cream in it. I ended up adding a lot of the spicy salsa sauce to it to give taste.


Fillings were  not well distributed with not hollow ends :(

Despite the taste, the burrito is MUCH smaller than the one I saw on my friend's facebook or instagram. Mine was also very loosely wrapped with hollow ends. I hope there could be better consistency at Little Burro.  Having said that, I could not finish the whole burrito myself as I am a small eater. Henry got very angry at the end of the dinner as he thought the quality of the burrito did not justify the price. Perhaps it is still green for Little Burro and we should wait for it to improve. In the meantime I would suggest iCaramba at Soho instead.

Rating
Food - ★☆☆☆☆
Service - ★★☆☆
Ambience - ★★☆☆
Overall - ★☆☆☆☆


Little Burro
 G/F., 125 Leighton Rd, Causeway Bay, Hong Kong
香港銅鑼灣禮頓道125號地下
☏ 2336 3909
Opening Hours: Mon - Sat: 11am - 10pm
Reservation Available?: No
Walk In Possible?:  Yes
Website: http://www.little-burro.com/


The Bill
Total (Dinner) - HKD68 p.p.


Date of Dinning: 22 Oct 2013


Follow this blog on:

No comments:

Post a Comment