Craft Steak | Juicy Nice Steaks

Super Monday again! I love Mondays as I could always enjoy more food with less price. Today, we brought my parents along with me to Craft Steak in Soho, which I reckoned is a very decent steakhouse.

There are two dinning sessions in Craft Steak, one from 6.30 - 8.15, another from 8.45 - closed. So we made our reservation at 8.45. When we arrived to the restaurant, the waiter said they do not have any reservation record from us. At that moment, all empty table had already had a reserve card on them, we were afraid that we might have to disappoint my parents especially we had the dinner that late at night. Fortunately, after waited for about ten minutes, the waiter somehow got us a table to settle in.

Since my parents were joining for dinner, we ordered a bottle of Oyster Bay. The Oyster Bay was nice. It was quite fruity and was very easy to drink. Right after my onion soup, a plate of bread was served. It came in such a bad timing, but we had it anyway. The bread was muffin-like which was quite cute. It was just freshly baked out of the oven, very hot and soft. The bread was crispy on the outside and soft on the inside. The butter was a spreadable one and melted onto the bread once it was spread on the bread. I didn't had the whole bread, 'coz it would be pretty full if I did.


French Onion Soup - HKD68
I also ordered French Onion Soup as starters. Ever since I had my first onion soup in Pickles Pedican, I had fallen in love with it. I still find Pickles Pedican offers the best French Onion Soup in HK. The outlook of Craftsteak's onion soup did not excite me like Pickles Pedican's did. The cheese were baked inside the bowl and melted on the crouton. The cheese were thick in texture and had a strong cheese flavour. It was totally melted and it was fun pulling strings of cheese off the crouton. The crouton was extremely hard that I could barely bite a piece off. The crouton was very soft with a texture similar to sponge, sadly it didn't have the crispy texture like Pedican's did. Yet the crouton was as delicious as the essence of the onion soup had totally permeated into the crouton. The onion soup was nicely caramelised to give an exceptional sweet and rich onion taste. Quite nice.


Wagyu Top Round - HKD208 /11oz
There were in total 9 sauces to choose from for any steaks, chops and birds you ordered. I chose Creamed Horseradish for my wagyu. The waitress said Creamed Horseradish was kind of like a dilute form of wasabi in white. The sauce was slightly spicy and had a mild wasabi taste but would not bring the irritation as the green wasabi paste would. The sauce was actually nice to go with the Wagyu.


I had my Wagyu cooked until medium rare. In Craftsteak, the chief uses open fire to cooks. You could literally watch them grilling your steaks from the open kitchen. When finished, the Wagyu was served in a large iron plate with a cute bamboo stick writing 'medium rare' on it. The Wagyu was extremely juicy and was grilled nicely to have the slight burned edge but still keeping the inside as medium rare. The texture of the Wagyu, if judging from the steak itself without comparison, I would think it was pretty nice and tender. Yet, if it were compared with the Ribeye and T-bone, it was significantly less tender and soft. If I were granted a choice again, I might chose to go for the other two options rather than the Wagyu Top Round that I had.


Salmon fillet - HKD158/ 9oz
Three sauces to choose from, and we chose the relatively lighter and healthier sauce, Olive Oil and Lemon. Very nicely served on the plain white dish with a grilled lemon. The grilled lemon although grilled, but still juicy and was able to be squeezed to give fresh lemon juice. However, the lemon turned rather hard after grilled and more force was needed for the squeezed.

Salmon looked fresh and nice. There were layers of fatty layer across the fish, with reasonable thickness. The fish was still pretty raw and did not give the crispy edge that I expected to have for grilled salmon. My mum didn't like it that much either.


Ribeye - HKD228/ 12oz
The ribeye was cooked until medium and sided with Béarnaise sauce. Béarnaise sauce is a sauce made of clarified butter emulsified in egg yolks and flavoured with herbs. The sauce was sweet and tasty. The ribeye was also very juicy. Its texture was very soft and tender, better than my Wagyu.


T-bone - HKD258/ 16oz
The T-bone was cooked until medium rare and sided with Bourbon Peppercorn. The sauce was spicier than my Creamed Horseradish. It was less juicy than the Wagyu and Ribeye but was most soft and tender! The portion was extremely huge, a 16oz T-bone. My dad tried his best to finish it but still had 8oz left for take away.


Grilled Baby Asparagus with Sea Salt - HKD38
Asparagus is my all time favourite as I have mentioned it many times in my reviews. Craftsteak's Asparagus was fresh. It was cooked until al dente and gave a good firm texture. The salty taste went naturally good with the asparagus, but the saltiness was just mild.


Parmesan Creamed Spinach - HKD38
This spinach side came and nearly gave me a heart attack. The dish was overly creamy and made the texture of the spinach meshy and soft like baby food. The Parmesan taste were too light that it could not be tasted. The taste were mostly dominated by cream, and cream had not much taste at all.

Macaroni and Cheese Gratin - HKD38
When I forked into the Macaroni and Cheese Gratin and pulled one macaroni out, the melted cheese followed my direction and pulled at least 15cm before it broke off!! Magnificent scene, I put the macaroni into my mouth and OMG, it was absolutely scrumptious. It was cheesy and rich. The texture was nice that the cheese were baked to give a slight chewy mouth feel. Thumb up for this little side dish! Should have ordered two instead!


Steamed Broccoli with Brown Butter - HKD38
This broccoli was fresh but had no flavour at all. Totally regretted ordering it. We were justing trying to make ourselves feeling better 'coz we were having too much meat.

Overall, Craftsteak was a very decent place with nice environment and delicious food. The service was excellent in general despite they had kind of lost our reservation. I would recommend the french onion soup as appetiser, T-bone steak with Creamed Horseradish sauce as main course and Macaroni and Cheese Gratin as side dish.






Craft Steak
G/F, 29 Elgin Street, SOHO, 
Central
☏ 2526 0999
12:00-15:00 ; 18:00-23:00(Mon-Fri)/18:00-00:00(Sat-Sun)
Date of Dinning: 26 July 2010

No comments:

Post a Comment